Unitarian Universalist Pennsylvania Legislative Advocacy Network
UU Ministry for Earth is focusing this Earth Day 2011 on Water as it relates to Environmental Justice. UUPLAN is inviting all Unitarian Universalists to unite to inform Pennsylvanians about Marcellus Shale and partner this Earth Day with UUMFE Water Campaign. Did you know that drilling for natural gas also known as Hydraulic Fracturing or Fracking pollutes drinking water?
UUMFE has launched their 40 40 40 Campaign! 40 Days of Commitment, 40 UUs in Your Congregation Stand Up for Environmental Justice!
This year UUPLAN is building on this water justice initiative with a focus on Marcellus Shale. UUPLAN invites you to partner your Earth Day 2011 efforts in the following six ways!
1. Join UUPLAN, if you are not already a member. Please provide your contact information and email address and become a fan today. Together we can make a difference, stand on the side of love and be heard in Harrisburg.
2. Write to Gov. Corbett to express your concern about the lack of comprehensive environmental protection and safety rules to correct gas drilling problems, citing a recent news article about an environmental accident. Follow this link for the contact form: http://www.tomcorbettforgovernor.com/contact/
3. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper on one of the Marcellus issues to express your concern about what is happening and what should be done. Our Marcellus Shale Issues page has additional information about natural gas drilling and information which may be useful for reference in writing your letter.
4. Write your state Senator and Representative reminding them that they failed to enact a natural gas severance tax as promised, and as a result, the state faces a bigger budget shortfall than anticipated.
Pennsylvania Senate: http://www.pasen.gov/index.cfm
Pennsylvania House: http://www.house.state.pa.us/index.cfm
5. Ask your congregation's Social Justice Committee to hold a forum using this comprehensive study done by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources that showed when leasing more public land for drilling would kill jobs, hurt the economy, and destroy the forests.
6. See the movie GASLAND
(DVD available Dec. 14); organize a GASLAND house party. Use
it as an opportunity to meet other activists. To order a copy of
the DVD or to check screenings, follow the link below. http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/screenings/